Establishment of a University Committee on Athletics
Policy Memorandum No. 94
Recommended by University Council
Approved by University Council: May 2, 1988
Approved by the President: May 2, 1988
Effective: July 1, 1988
This action establishes a University Committee on Athletics, charged
to "review and provide advice on broad policy issues relating to
intercollegiate athletics." The measure, as adopted by Council, reads:
WHEREAS, in accordance with a reorganization plan
for athletics, approved by the University's Board of Visitors on July
22, 1987, that the Virginia Tech Athletic Association, Inc. be dissolved
as a corporate entity, and begin operations as an auxiliary enterprise
within the existing University structure, effective July 1, 1988; and
WHEREAS, intercollegiate athletics is a matter of
University-wide interest; and
WHEREAS, the University seeks to establish an
advisory body to address intercollegiate athletic policy issues, with a
majority of its membership being faculty members in accordance with NCAA
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that University
Council recommend the establishment of a University Committee on
Athletics and have the President appoint a chairperson from among its
membership, in accordance with Articles VI and VIII of the Constitution
of the University Council; and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that such a Committee have as its charge: To
review and provide advice on broad policy issues relating to
intercollegiate athletics, such charge to be incorporated in the Bylaws
of University Council.
Specific Committee responsibilities would include:
- Provide advice to the Athletic Director on such matters as
financial aid for student athletes, residential life for student
athletes, program balance between revenue and nonrevenue sports,
recruiting, admissions, NCAA compliance, and general intercollegiate
athletic budgetary and operational matters.
- Provide advice to the Provost on matters related to academic
progress of athletes, the admission policy for athletes, academic
advising of athletes, and relations with academic departments and
faculty in general.
- Participate in the search process for the selection of the
Athletic Director. The Committee will also participate in periodic
evaluations of the Athletic Director in coordination with the University
official to whom the Athletic Director reports.
The membership proposed for the Committee, for incorporation in the
Bylaws of University Council, is:
- One faculty representative from each College, nominated by the
College Faculty Association.
- One collegiate faculty representative nominated by the Faculty
- One extracollegiate faculty nominated by the Faculty Senate.
- One undergraduate student representative nominated by the SGA.
- One scholarship athlete nominated by the Athletic Director.
- One graduate student representative nominated by the GSA.
- President's appointed faculty representative to the NCAA,
ex-officio with vote.
- Vice President for Student Affairs or designee, ex-officio with
- University official to whom athletics reports, or designee,
ex-officio with vote.
- One alumni representative of the Virginia Tech Alumni
- One representative of the Virginia Tech Student Aid Association.
- Athletic Director, ex-officio without vote.
- One college dean selected by the President from nominations by
the college deans.
In accordance with Article VIII of the Constitution of the University Council:
- Faculty appointments to the Committee are for terms of three years,
effective on the first day of September; terms are staggered to permit
appointment of approximately one-third each year. Student appointments
to University Committees are for terms of one year. Vacancies in
unexpired terms are filled in the same manner as are full terms.
(Article VIII, Section 4.)
- The Committee shall maintain minutes, accessible through the
Alumni and Student Aid representatives will be appointed by the
President from names submitted by the Virginia Tech Alumni Association
and the Virginia Tech Student Aid Association. Each Association will
submit at least two names to the President for consideration.
The Committee shall meet monthly during the academic year and on a
call basis during the summer months.
President's Policy Memorandum